Day 1: Thursday, June 18
We left the house at 4:45 am to pick up Barb and Sid Sponsler, the Hooyer's neighbors who traveled with us. We all caught the 5:30 ferry, aiming at getting a 7:45 flight to San Francisco. (Since Dave Hooyer is a retired United pilot, we used his companion tickets and traveled stand-by on the flights from Seattle to SF and SF to Hong Kong.) Unfortunately, the lines at the airport were long and by the time we got checked in, we were too late to get the 7:45 flight. Our last chance at making the 1:00 flight to Hong Kong was getting the 9:45, which seven of the eight of us made. Dave ended up taking a later flight on Alaska, which put him in SF after the 1:00 departure for Hong Kong, but none of us made that flight, so it didn't really matter. It was very disappointing to miss the flight. I don't like uncertainty, so waiting to see if our names would be called was very frustrating. We made the most of it by enjoying our afternoon in SF. Carlyn, Barb, Kylie and I took the BART into China-town and pretended we were in Hong Kong. Never having been there, it wasn't hard for me to do! We even ate delicious Dim Sum for dinner. Sorry, Katie, I don't remember what they were called: some had shrimp, some had eggplant, some had tofu, some had pork, all were delicious!
Day 2: Friday, June 19
We woke up determined to have a positive attitude about making the flight. We said a prayer together for safe travel, which made all of us feel better. And we made the flight. Sid, Barb, Kylie and I even got seats in business class, which made the waiting well worth it! The seats recline all the way into beds, each person has their own entertainment center with movies, TV shows, music, & games, the food is good and served on real dishes with cold silverware, drinks are refilled constantly (as our seat-made took full advantage of...), all which made the 15 hour flight bearable.
Day 3: Sunday, June 21
We lost most of Saturday due to the time difference (they're 15 hours ahead).
Carlyn's dad and brother, Mao, picked us up from the airport in Cagayan Sunday morning and drove us into town to go grocery shopping and eat lunch. Our first whiff of durian greeted us in their van. It smelled like overly powerful Pepto Bismol and we were promised the chance to try it later.
Driving up the mountain from Cagayan to Manolo Fortich was unlike anything I've ever experienced. I think they purposefully tear up the roads to create jobs repairing them. The road in the picture above doesn't show how bad they were. But it's a decent shot of the back of a jeepney, which is a very popular form of tranportation in the Philippines and is used to carry as many people as can squeeze in along with any kind of goods that will fit. The roads are usually two lanes, but the drivers treat them like both lanes go in the same direction and will pass each other at any time, even when there is a huge truck coming towards them. It's a bit like playing chicken: if you've got the guts to pass, go for it! Motorcyles (or hubel-hubels, as they're called) weave in and out of traffic and of course no one wears helmets or seat belts.


Most of the houses are very primitive. I kept thinking it would get better, but it didn't. There aren't "nicer" neighborhoods and "poorer" neighborhoods like we're used to in the U.S. Every once in a while, a house with a tile roof and stucco walls would appear from behind a walled enclosure, but not very often. I was starting to get really worried about where I was taking my daughter (and myself). Fortunately, Carlyn's family's home is one of the nicer ones in town.
this is so incredible. wow. thanks for sharing, and isn't that library AMAZING!? Especially after seeing all the other buildings in town. people must LOVE to come to the library. keep it coming, I love the adventure!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures & commentary are awesome! I can't wait for the next installment. It makes me wish that I'd gone with you guys. Sigh. Maybe next time . . .
ReplyDeleteI want to see a full body shot of Kylie in her "Business Class" clothes. :-)
Oh, Wow! I started tearing-up when I saw the jeepney and houses! I have soooo many memories of that wonderful place. That was a very special time in my life, and I have hidden it all away. Thank you for your pictures, it brought it all back. I can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure! Can't wait to hear about the rest.
ReplyDelete