That 80s song has been going through my head as I'm back to doing laundry, cleaning house, cooking dinner and running kids around after our wonderful spring break in California. At least we came home to sun, so it wasn't a huge shock to our systems!
About two months ago, I decided for Spring Break this year I would venture out of my comfort zone and drive myself and the kids down to visit Scott & Elizabeth and the Olivers, a trip of 20 hours by car over two days. Fortunately, Brad was able to fly down on Tuesday evening to join us and we both shared the driving on the way back. I was amazed at how well everyone did in the car. We've never been a "road trip" family, but with our new van, we've discovered that we can do it!
We left early Saturday morning and stopped a little over 1/2 way at the Parke's beautiful home in Cottonwood. It was so nice to have a welcoming place to rest. After being cooped up in the car for 12 hours, Ben was in hyper-drive and ran around their house with Caleb until we finally got them to bed around 10:30.


Deb, Troy, Ryan, Patrick (their "adopted son"), Caleb, Sarah, and Jon
We left the Parke's Sunday morning and made it to Scott & Elizabeth's by dinner time that evening. Elizabeth had so many fun things planned for us. It was a little crazy at times with seven kids and four adults (the video below is a perfect example of the craziness!) but we had a wonderful time.
The weather was warm and sunny, such a relief after our crazy winter weather at home.
We went to the beach every day:


(a cliff at Gaviota Beach, the rocks broke off in sheets forming this cool "bulls-eye")
hiked to the Wind Caves:


visted the Santa Barbara Zoo:

rode an 11 person Surrey Bike down the Santa Barbara beach path:

saw the Beifus mansion under construction:


walked around Solvang (little Denmark):

and downtown Santa Barbara:

Even our van had a good time! Doesn't it fit right in?

We did have a few relaxing minutes, too. I really enjoyed seeing Scott and Elizabeth interact with the kids, and watching all the kids get a long so well together.


Wednesday evening, we headed to the Oliver's. They live in a big, beautiful house surrounded by orange groves. The smell of the orange blossoms was heavenly. Brad really wished we could have bottled the scent and brought it home with us.
Ben and Emma picked up right where they left off, playing in the big Lego bin.

On Friday, Brad and Charles took Kylie and Nathan O. to Magic Mountain. They rode all the crazy roller coasters. Elisa and I opted for more sane activities and took the kids to the beach and a movie.
For some reason, I didn't take many pictures when we were with the Olivers. It seemed like old times, hanging out with friends, I guess I just forgot.
I was amazed at the beauty of California. I haven't driven through since I was in high school, and I know I wasn't paying attention to the natural surroundings then. This is the Ojai valley, most of the trees are orange trees.
Here's Mt. Shasta at sunset:
We left the Oliver's on Saturday morning and decided to drive straight through. It worked out pretty well since one of us could sleep while the other drove. We arrived home at 4am Sunday morning. It was good to be home after all that time in the car, except for the fact that Brad turned the furnace off when he left on Tuesday. The house was 50 degrees and our beds definitely weren't warm and cozy!
And now we're back to life, back to reality. But I'm definitely up for another trip soon!
No photos of Elisa and Charles! I sure miss them. Thanks for the photos that you DID take!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you had such a great time. Next trip we'll go just you and I and we will fly!
I'm glad you guys had such a great trip! And I'm especially glad that it went so smoothly for you. Vacations are great, but it's also nice to get "back to life, back to reality."
ReplyDeleteAnd dang! You sure know how to pick friends/family with great houses. :-)
I cannot believe that you already got these on your blog...I'm so retarded my blog still is in January! I love the pictures and we had so much fun with you!
ReplyDelete