July 2015

July 2015

Monday, March 9, 2009

Midnight Doctor Visit

I love my family doctor. What other doctor would meet me at 11:30 PM in his office because my six year old son was having symptoms of a bladder infection?

Last night after we put all the kids to bed, Ben came running down the hallway to our bedroom at breakneck speeds to use our bathroom (never mind there's one 5 feet from his bedroom door, ours is his toilet of choice!) He was in there for a while and came out crying, saying he couldn't go. We calmed him down and sent him back to bed. Two minutes later he's tearing down the hall again, same thing happens. This goes on for about an hour and half, to the point he's worked himself into a fit and can't calm down. Brad suggested we call Dr. Keyes, which I was reluctant to do; it was 11:00 PM after all, but I couldn't think of a better idea.

After talking over Ben's symptoms, Dr. Keyes said he would meet us in his office in 20 minutes. Wow. I was expecting him to suggest going to the ER if I thought it was necessary. So off we go to the doctor's office. At this point, I'm practically praying that there is something wrong since I would feel like a fool to have it all be nothing! Of course Ben falls asleep in the car on the way there and when I wake him up once we arrive, he's acting pretty normal. Dr. Keyes checked him over and had him pee in a cup and gave him some antibiotics. He didn't see anything in the rapid test, but is sending it off to the lab. Ben did use the bathroom four times while we were there, so at least Dr. Keyes got to see that symptom for himself.

Dr. Keyes has been our family doctor for 16 years, and Brad's doctor for 10 years before that. He has always been willing to go out of his way to provide care for our family. He's such a gentle, kind man and a wonderful doctor.

5 comments:

  1. Bladder infections suck! I hope Ben is feeling better today.

    And I'm so glad that I'm not the only mom who has found herself praying that "something is actually wrong - not scary wrong, just enough so that I don't feel like a fool." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Ben! And here's another cheer from a staunch member of the Greg Keyes fan club. He's an all-around wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was our doctor while we were living on the island too and he was such an awesome doctor!! It's so nice to have a good doctor to rely on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was my doctor growing up too! Even still, he sees me or Shane even though we dont have insurance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were thinking about Dr. Keyes Sunday night as well. Maybe I should have called him too and then we would have been able to meet up together. I spent the night at Mom's Sunday night and both boys woke up screaming and pulling at their ears. They were not happy campers. Needless to say, after we woke up this morning, Hyrum didn't go to school and we went back to Seattle so we could see our doctor. Sure enough they both have ear infections, which I'm happy about just for the fact that "I didn't feel like a fool" either. Only trouble now is that Hyrum's little tummy isn't sitting well with his antibiotics. He's allergic to amoxicillin and I guess his system doesn't like what the replacement. So we'll have to miss school again tomorrow and sort things out. Poor kid has only gone to Pre-school twice this month. He misses his buddies so much! Here's hoping all the little guys are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete